Sunday, April 12, 2009

[moderate?] neo-Luddite Manifesto



Okay so I'm really leaning towards developing a (moderate?) neo-Luddite mythology & manifesto. I will discuss the history of Luddism and perhaps touch upon a few other workers movements to provide some context for the new movement which I propose. The mythology will most likely appear as a sort of time-line while my manifesto will follow historical models (I'll get a hold of and read some manifestos before I get down to my own). For my presentation I may organize a rally or a talk where I (or another neo-Luddite member) will disseminate pamphlets and copies of the manifesto. I'm not sure that I want to engage in an organized debate with Mike (nothing personal Mike) as part of my presentation, although He or anyone else is free to challenge me or the views of the movement at anytime. Let's keep this informal and natural. Like any movement it may never get off the ground or it may show signs of support.

For my project I will develop and employ some practical real-world strategies and tactics, some reductive (resisting by NOT doing something or using an object (technology)) and some additive (resisting by PHYSICALLY pushing against something or an object (technology)). For the 'Sunday Luddite' this may mean not using his/her computer/mobile/television one day out of the week. For others it may be a 'Luddist Lent' (thanks Madison), cutting out technological objects/practices for a week/month out of each year. While in the additive camps simply reducing technology use may not be enough. Mapping out city-wide signal strengths of mobiles and wi-fi connections may be one strategy, and either providing those maps to interested participants or taping-off or physically altering locations where signals/friction are low. Developing an iconography and postering or stenciling those icons around the city in 'soft spots' or alternately in high signal/high friction environments - official looking window stickers like the wi-fi 'hot-spot' ones in the Starbucks. Anyone interested in participating in reductive or additive practices is more than welcome to sign up.

Kreeg/Craig.

No comments:

Post a Comment